self-imposed limitations

Blah.

So, it occurred to me today how often I am cowed by my parents decisions and expectations. For some reason that really bothered me. Here is the context: Chau wanted to hang out today and instead of reacting enthusiastically and promising to run things by my parental units, I automatically began doubting a positive reaction from the folks and made excuses.

"Sorry, I've been out a lot recently."
"Really, where?"
"Just, out. Like, with Brian and Jessi, and then I spent the evening at Em's, and went to Goodwill during finals."

Even I can recognize those excuses as ridiculously lame. But beyond that, it really bothers me when my friends don't even bother asking their parents if they can go somewhere or do something simply because they assume the answer will be no. Especially when I force them to ask and the answer ends up being yes. So, why do I consistently look towards excuses instead of facing my parents. What's the worst they can do to me, say no?

That may just be it though. They say no so often after I've been out "a lot"– for whatever reason– that it's become a reflex to automatically say no to anyone who asks me to hang out instead to bothering to ask my mum. The typical reactions is somewhere between "I'm not taking you all over the place" and "You should stay home and help out around here." But the point is, they're not always negative answers.

Oy vey.

I really need to get a car. Or fix my bike.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl (ehh I guess my last comment didn't work)
anyways. It's Maruyi from Girls State :] .. The one with the ride TO the GS camp.
I saw this blog on your facebook, read it, and realized...
I totally agree. I do that all the time. Sometimes, I think I make an excuse because of what my parents would say out of fear. Fear of what? I don't know. anywhoos.
I seriously should start up my blogging site again. I always abandon it.. lol

Post a Comment

what am I up to now?

    follow me on Twitter

    peoples